Quinoa is a gluten free plant food high in protein and is a great substitute for rice. It’s very nutritious, high in fiber and protein and has all of the essential amino acids. I prefer it mixed with other ingredients rather alone and this is one of my favorite recipes.
- 2 Cups Sliced bell peppers
- 1 Cup Thinly sliced onion
- 3 Cups Cooked Quinoa (you can also substitute with rice)
- 1 Can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Corn kernels
- ½ Cup Salsa
- ¼ Cup Light sour cream
For the chicken:
- 1 pound thin boneless skinless chicken (I prefer tenders)
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil divided use
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- To prepare the chicken marinade, pour the lime juice,3 tablespoons olive oil and water in a large resealable bag. Add honey, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder and chili powder to the bag.
- Seal bag and shake to combine. Add chicken to the bag of marinade, seal and place in the fridge – marinate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- In a large pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook for about 5-6 minutes or until tender and slightly charred. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the peppers and onions from the pan; place them on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Clean pan with a paper towel then remove chicken from the marinade and add it to the pan. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Cut the chicken into cubes. Divide the quinoa evenly between four bowls. Top the quinoa with the chicken, vegetables, black beans, corn, salsa, and sour cream.
This dish is light, easy and quick also great for meal prepping. Dig in…let’s eat!